Things you should know
Hand Dyed Yarns: 98% of the yarns we carry are hand dyed. We will do our best to ensure that you receive the same dye lot if one is listed on the yarn label. Variations will naturally exist, even within the same dye lot, for hand dyed yarns. Please alternate between 2-3 skeins for optimal color blending. We recommend that you order at least one more skein than you think you need for a project. We cannot guarantee that a particular color/base/dye lot will be in stock if you run out. We cannot guarantee exact color matches between in-stock and pre-ordered yarns.
Variations in Hand-dyed yarns can occur from lot to lot or skein to skein, so your skein(s) will be unique. (Think individual art piece) Different bases take dye in unique ways due to their fiber content and/or construction. The same recipe across different bases can be more or less saturated, heathered, brighter, softer etc. If you have questions about how a color may look on a different base, please call and inquire.
Yarn photography: I do my best to accurately portray each colorway, but every monitor displays color differently. Colors may vary depending on light conditions, screen brightness and color temperature of your device.
Yarn Care: We recommend that you hand-wash all finished projects regardless of yarn label. We sell Unicorn & Soakwash for this purpose, but any soap designed for hand-knits will do. (Place item(s) in cool water with about a cap full of soap distributed evenly. Let sit for 15-20min. Carefully remove item(s), pressing out water into a towel. Then lay flat to dry. Do not allow wet items to hang. The weight of the water will stretch them out. If you choose to machine wash Super-wash yarns, do so on hand-wash/gentle cycle, cold water, in a lingerie bag, re-shape and lay flat to dry. You've put a lot of work into your projects. Treat them with the respect they deserve.
Rewards Program: Our rewards program was initiated on April 2, 2018. In order to earn points you must sign up for the program and be signed into your account for online purchases. For in store purchases, inform us at time of checkout that you are part of the rewards program. Points do not accrue retroactively, and refunds will be subtracted from earned points.
How to Redeem your points: Go to Dyehardyarns.com and sign into your account using your email address and password. (Click "Account" in the top left corner, or the little person if you're on your phone)
>>>If you've forgotten your password, click "forgot password" and enter your info. It will then email you a link to create a new password (this email may go to your Promotions folder or spam).
After you have logged in, click the "Earn Rewards" button on the bottom right of the page. Then, at the top middle, click "Get Rewards", then "Redeem Points" and click the button on that page, it will then give you a coupon code to use for $30 off your yarn purchase. Use the coupon code at checkout.
Rescheduling: Currently we allow students to reschedule lessons missed due to conflicts, holidays, emergencies, etc. If you need to reschedule/postpone a lesson, call and/or email us ahead of time. Occasionally classes may need to be rescheduled by the instructor. If this is the case, you will be notified.
Receipts: We care about the environment. Store receipts are sent by email or text only. We do not print paper receipts.
Gift Certificates: Gift certificates are sent digitally, by email only, to the email address of your choosing, and do not include a name. They can then be printed if you desire or forwarded to the recipient. The QR code from your gift card can be scanned from your smart phone so that printing is unnecessary. When purchasing gift certificates, you will receive 2 emails. One will be the receipt and the other will be the gift certificate. If you do not see these emails, please wait 10min and check your spam folder before calling us.
Drop Ship orders, Special orders, Dyed-to-order, Pre-orders: We take orders for Baah, Skacel, Urth, and Kitty Pride Fibers. Though most orders are shipped within 4 weeks, this time frame is approximate and not a guarantee. Dyer schedules and shipping carrier times will vary. Order ahead of schedule and give yourself enough leeway for delays. You will be notified the day your yarn arrives.
Drop ship orders will ship directly to you from the Dyer. You will receive a shipping notification from Dye Hard Yarns, HOWEVER, we email these labels to Baah and Urth for direct shipment from their studio. This process takes time and is based on the individual dyer's schedule at the time of purchase.
Note: We cannot guarantee exact color matches between in-stock and pre-ordered yarns.
Orders that include both pre-order and in-stock items will ship all together when the pre-order item is ready. If you’d like in-stock items sooner, please place a separate order, or notify us by email. We will not issue refunds on special orders/pre-orders unless we do not receive the yarn.
Discounts: Occasionally we hold store-wide sales on our products. Discount codes will be posted on the front page of our website, on social media, and via email and can be applied at checkout.
- The Dye Hard Yarns membership club offers it's members everyday discounts on retail and classes. The total discount offered caps at 25% off for the Merino membership and 30% off for the Cashmere membership.
- Seniors 60yrs and older, teachers, high school students, and college students receive 15% off with valid ID.
- Orders of 5 skeins or more receive 15% off as part of our yarn discount program.
- Discounts cannot be combined.
- Discounts do not apply to classes, guest workshops, YOTM subscriptions, consignment, or trunk shows unless otherwise noted at time of sale.
YOTM/Subscriptions: YOTM subscriptions are just that, subscriptions. They will automatically renew unless otherwise noted on the specific YOTM signup page. If you do not wish to have your subscription renew, you must cancel your subscription before its scheduled renewal date. Make sure to check your account for confirmation if you are unsure. (This date is the 1, 6, or 12 month anniversary date of your subscription purchase or last subscription renewal). Exchange or store credit only for YOTM yarn and subscriptions. Refunds will not be processed on YOTM subscriptions.
- YOTM members receive 15-30% off in store and online with their special code. (Discounts do not apply to guest workshops, subscriptions, or consignment unless otherwise noted)
- We want you to enjoy your YOTM experience. If you do not like the colors sent to you, then you have the option to exchange or receive store credit for YOTM yarn.
- Each YOTM subscription has its own rules for what is included in your surprise package. Please read your specific YOTM subscription page for details and approximate ship dates.
- Our Subscription service offers a "Manage Subscription Page" which is a customer portal that provides you with the flexibility to manage your own subscriptions. You are able to change your billing/shipping address, payment, and order date information. You can additionally add, remove, swap products and cancel your existing subscription orders.
These provisions are subject to change at any time, without notice, and supersede any previous provisions listed at an earlier date.
Refunds: Classes/lessons/workshops will not be refunded unless cancelled by instructor. If there is a family emergency, or other such emergency, classes can be rescheduled or exchanged for other classes.
- If multiple product refunds have been issued in less than a month, you will have the option to exchange or receive store credit only. (This will last for a period of 60 days thereafter from last processed refund)
- No Returns without receipt.
- Items returned in original condition, uncaked, unopened and unused are eligible for refund within 21 days of purchase. Exchange or store credit only after 21 days.
- No returns or exchanges on Soak Wash, Lotion, Candles, Bath Bombs, Bath Salts, Soaps, Hand/Foot Scrubs, Consignment, Trunk show merchandise, or Custom Knitted Pieces.
- Exchange or store credit only for custom dyeing/Dyed-to-order. Items must be returned in original condition, uncaked, unopened and unused. Refunds will not be issued for custom dyeing/Dyed-to-order.
- Exchange or store credit only for knitting needles and crochet hooks. Items must be returned in original condition. Refunds will not be issued.
- Clearance and sale items will not be refunded. You have the option to exchange or receive store credit only.
- Refunds will not be processed on Yarn-of-the-Month YOTM subscriptions/memberships or B.I.P.O.C Boxes. (See Clubs section above) Exchange or store credit only for YOTM yarn, B.I.P.O.C Boxes and subscriptions.
- Digital items (such as patterns, gift certificates, etc.) will not be refunded.
- Depending on your method of payment, it may take a couple of business days for you to see the refund in your account.
Exchanges and Returns: To be eligible for return, items must be uncaked, unused, in the original packaging, and in the same condition you received them. Please ship your item for return or exchange with a return shipping label. Contact us to receive a return shipping label which will include tracking. Please allow adequate time to receive your package. Upon receipt and inspection of your returns, we will process the exchange, store credit, or refund.
Curbside pickup is free.
Shipping policy: Orders on in-stock items will be processed once per week due to Covid-19. Dyed to order/Pre-order items will ship when they arrive. If ordering in-stock items and dyed to order/pre-order items at the same time, all items will ship together.
Yarn-of-the-Month (YOTM) packages will ship on, or about, their scheduled dates. Items ordered along with Yarn-of-the-month will ship with your YOTM package unless you let us know you'd like it sooner. (Please put this in your order notes)
Orders placed up to 2 days before the Chicago Yarn Crawl, or during the Chicago Yarn Crawl will be shipped after the Crawl has ended. Please be patient as this can take up to a week or more depending on the volume of orders received during the Crawl.
All domestic packages are shipped USPS First Class or UPS Ground unless over 1lb, in which case they are shipped USPS Priority or UPS Ground. International packages are shipped First Class Package International or Priority Mail International. Some Mail services, due to Covid, may be unavailable at the time of shipping. If this is the case, an additional shipping amount may be added to your total and an invoice will be sent to you for the price difference.
First Class shipping up to 4oz $5.50
First Class shipping from 4.1oz - 8oz $6.30
First Class shipping from 8.1oz - 12oz $7.05
First Class shipping from 12.1oz - 15.999oz $7.85
Priority Shipping (Rate 1) 16oz-20oz $10.53
Priority Shipping (Rate 2) 20.1oz- and above $14
Free Domestic Economy shipping over $120 (Cheapest available service with tracking)
Getting free shipping? Please keep in mind that free shipping means WE GET TO PICK THE SHIPPING METHOD. It is not always the fastest, but that's why it's free.
International shipping rates are based on your address and the weight and dimensions of your order.
All shipping methods include tracking.
- Please Note: Due to COVID-19 shipping delays have become the norm. Please be patient, we can not be held accountable for shipment delays once in USPS/UPS possession.
- US orders typically take 3-5 business days to arrive after they are shipped. Delivery times vary based on your location. We are not responsible for delays due to pandemics, the weather, natural disasters, holidays, or carrier error.
- International orders shipped via International Air (no tracking) will vary depending on the destination country, but typically take anywhere between 2-4 weeks for arrival. Parcels shipped via First-Class International (with tracking) take on average 10-14 business days.
- Any customs fees are the responsibility of the recipient. Your package will be marked as merchandise and include an invoice. It is illegal for us to mark your purchase as a “gift”.
- Lost packages (items not marked as "delivered" or "notice left" by carrier) : Occasionally carrier mistakes happen. If your package is lost in the mail (no tracking movement), please notify us. We will initiate an inquiry with USPS/UPS. At our discretion we will re-ship your package (so long as items are in stock) within 60 days of purchase OR If a lost item is not in stock, we will happily exchange for another item or give you store credit.